Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What I Had For Dinner Last Night: Lemon Bacon Potato Salad

Ok. Stop. I had the best potato salad EVER last night. And I made it myself. The boy had just finished a particularly grueling period at work so I decide to celebrate with him. I made a steak as big as my torso (no really, I ended up cutting it in 4 it was so big, fresh grilled corn on the cob with garlic butter and cayenne, sauteed green beans with balsamic vinegar and THIS potato salad. Make it. Or invite me to a BBQ and I will bring it!

  • 2.5 lbs waxy potatoes (I used new potatoes)
  •  6 – 7 slices or bacon or pancetta
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • Juice of 1 lemon (I used more)
  • 1 tbsp dijon mustard 
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 1 bunch of green onions
  • 1/2 cup Italian (Flat Leaf) Parsley, chopped

Dice your potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Keep the peel on. Place the diced potatoes in a large pot, then fill it with cold water and set over high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and continue to simmer until the potatoes are just fork-tender, about 10 – 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

When the potatoes are done, gently drain the pot. Put them in a large bowl and add the chopped green onion, parsley and lemon zest.

Cook the bacon until crispy. Take the bacon out of the pan, and chop when cool. In the pan (leave that bacon fat in there!) add the olive oil, the lemon juice and the mustard. Whisk. Pour the dressing on top of the potato. Sprinkle on the bacon. Salt and pepper to taste. Eat at room temperature. EJNOY. Mmmmm.

This was my version. You can find the original I riffed on here at Bitchin Camero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails